Friday, September 2, 2011

The Next Generation

I've recently had several reminders as to how much of an impact I have on up and coming runners without even realizing it.  I just found out the other week that two girls in the surrounding area both recently received running scholarships, in part because my parents were able to share with their parents what we learned from my high school running career.  I had no idea, but one of the girls carried around a picture of the two us together for many years as her inspiration.

A couple months ago, I was talking to my high school coach, Coach Mike Tanner, and he asked if I would be interested in talking with the local high school teams.  I was excited to be offered such an opportunity.  This week, I had the privilege of returning to my high school (now split into two schools: Warren County and Skyline) to give a talk on all the little things that take you to the next level in running, such as core, strides and drills, and nutrition.

Upon arriving at the track for a run with the Skyline High School (Coach Mike Tanner) and Warren County High School (Coach Jeremy Burnworth) teams, I was met with a surprise:  The Warren County girls had made "I love Emily" shirts.  I was very flattered, and it made me not so nervous for the upcoming talk.

Warren County Wildcats Cross Country Team

The next day, I went to Warren County's dual meet with Clarke County (The Wildcats won on both sides!).  Meanwhile, the Skyline Hawks were at an away meet with some fiercer competition with the boys missing the win by a mere two points.  After the race, the girls invited me to cool down with them.



Gathering around the finish line.

Post-cool down.  These ladies are chasing
the State Title this year.  Photo by Ariel.

Thank you to Coach Tanner, Coach B and all the athletes for making me feel welcome.

Over the past year, I've also had the opportunity to work with Coach Trina Painter's Kids on the Run program and the FACTS after school track program, both of which have broadened my awareness of youth running.  I feel honored to have the continuous support of my hometown community.  I look forward to continuing to share my love of running with others and to be a positive influence.    
Post-long run relaxation in the the Shenandoah.
Unfortunately, it's not cold enough to count as an ice bath.

Warming up for 12-16 x 400m.

Sincerely,
Beast  (That one's for you Coach Tanner)


On the drive home...


1 comment:

dogs rule said...

Hope all the girls see this! They are great bunch of young ladies.
Goo' job.