Tuesday, March 11, 2014

USA 50km Road Championships (Caumsett 50k)

1st Place Female, 4th Overall.  My final time of 3:15 is the second-fastest 50k by a North American and was 69-seconds off Janis Klecker's American Record (3:13:51) from 1983.  

I don't really have any revelations for this blog since most of the race highlights and details have been covered in iRunFar's article and Ian Torrence's blog, covering the two months of training leading into the race.

Racy day!  While temperatures were brisk, we got lucky that the impending snow storm held off.  The heated tent at the start/finish line was a welcome sight!


Photo by GLIRC


And we're off!
Photo by GLIRC

The lead men wasted no time in settling into a quick pace.  Ethan Coffey would go on to set a new course record, while Michael Wardian finished a strong second with a sub-3 hour run.


Ethan Coffey, Michael Wardian and Joseph Gray.
Photo by GLIRC.

My family stationed themselves at the beginning of the out-and-back section of the loop, so I saw them twice on each 5k loop.  This worked perfectly for my nutrition plan...I'd grab my Nathan QuickShot Plus Insulated, carry it for the out and back, drop it, and take a gel for the rest of the loop.


Taking my bottle from Mema for the out-and-back.
Photo by Sandra Morris.


Heading out for another loop.  Other than passing through
other runners, I ran the race solo from the gun.
Photo by GLIRC.
Running relaxed.
Photo by Sandra Morris.

What Ian didn't say in his blog, is that Caumsett marked his 179th ultra finish!!  His marathon split was only a couple minutes off his 2013 Boston Marathon time, but this time he kept going to finish 50k in 3:38 for 11th place.   


Running with a pack in the early miles.
Photo by GLIRC.
Coming off the out-and-back section.

Receiving awards from Carl, the Race Director.
Photo by Cheryl & David Harrison.

Ian also receives his medal from the RD.
Photo by Cheryl & David Harrison.
Post-race.  Trust me, we're colder than we look!

The following day we joined New York Running Company's Ultra Sexy Pace for a run and Q&A.  Nathan and adidas were also in attendance, getting runners outfitted in Nathan reflective gear and adidas Boosts for our night run through Central Park. Thankfully I was able to squeak out 2.75 miles with the group even if I did almost get dropped.


Photo by Mary Arnold.
 
  A big thank you to Dr. AJ Gregg for keeping me healthy along the way.  To Ian for providing training and moral support to help me reach my goals.  To my family for driving 7+ hours to see me race.  And to all the sponsors who complete the package: adidas Ultra Team, Nathan PerformanceInjinjiTeam Run Flagstaff Pro, and New Belgium Brewing.  

3 comments:

Jana said...

It is really impressive that you ran so fast for so many miles alone with nobody to push you along. That takes a lot of mental fortitude and discipline. Congrats.

dogs rule said...

Always a good read. Let me tell you, it was tough watching those splits...so close! Glad we got to be there.

Gas Contractors Mesquite said...

Goood reading